[kwlug-disc] Would we want to aim for something like a Discourse.org site for KWLUG?

Chamunks chamunks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:04:04 EST 2018

Oh I have no interest in starting a second LUG I'm just making suggestions
for possibilities if we wanted to migrate to something for a curated
conversation system wherein we want the mailing list content to be public
but at the same time there are privacy concerns for sure and there is also
the side where @khalid had mentioned that mailing list results don't come
up very often in google searches as they're not really the most coherent to
those who weren't a part of the original conversation.

So some of things that Discourse would solve would include:
* Providing a conversational platform wherein people can format things with
Markdown for readability.
* Provides a level of abstraction from your private information like your
email.
* We could make it "invite only" wherein you would have to add your email
to the mailing list paper when you show up in order to join.
* Email responses are possible
* Emailed digests are possible.
* Topic monitoring is possible.
* Highlighting the solution on to a question is a huge value add.
* It's designed with Docker in mind so we generally shouldn't need to do
much other than make sure to periodically pull the latest images it
essentially updates itself.

Obvious downsides would be:
* Yet another thing for us to maintain despite self updating things are
never truly maintenance free.
* Higher costs for a group that doesn't have an organization.
* More things to decide in a group that generally like to measure a lot and
cut once.