[kwlug-disc] Would we want to aim for something like a Discourse.org site for KWLUG?

lanny lanny at lannycox.com
Wed Nov 28 13:59:36 EST 2018

I'd second this sentiment. There's nothing inherently bad about using Discourse, but I dont feel like it adds much in the way of value and would require unnecessary effort to maintain. Meanwhile, the mailing-list format works well and isn't overwhelming, given the volume of messages.
-------- Original message --------From: Doug Moen <doug at moens.org> Date: 2018-11-28  1:38 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] Would we want to aim for something like a Discourse.org site for KWLUG? I personally prefer a mailing list, because right now, all of my "social media feeds" (including KWLUG) are delivered via email, and go into a single inbox, which I can read and administer using a single user interface. I don't want to go to a different website to read forum posts for each forum that I participate in.

I investigated Discourse earlier this year. At that time, I felt that the email integration provided a worse user experience than a mailing list, for people like me who prefer to interact via email. Also, it appeared that maintaining a discourse server would be a significant volunteer commitment, as I saw forum comments about the complexity of maintaining a discourse server.

I didn't make notes about why I thought the email integration is poor. Chamunks mentioned that as a feature. I'll have to reconstruct what my objections were.