[kwlug-disc] Should kwlug-disc archives be private?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Nov 26 15:58:54 EST 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 03:45:07AM -0500, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> So, for those who care: would you be offended if we made list archives
> private? Why?

They should stay public.  Going private would be a step away from history,
a step away from helping everyone even non-members.  I contributed to
kwlug in my own small way with the intent to make it public.  To change
that now would undo the assumptions made when that help was given.

I don't even care that much about spam.  Almost the only way you can avoid
spammers getting your email address is to not use it at all.
So people need to have a spam system in place already these days.
It's not our problem.

I don't believe we should change a long standing practice for just one
uncomfortable newcomer.  That may sound harsh, but it's not.  There are
better options: the newcomer can become braver, or he can take his privacy
into his own hands and manage multiple email addresses (always better than
trusting 3rd parties!), or he can simply come out to in-person meetings
and ask for help there, where conversations are not as public.

- Chris