[kwlug-disc] HiveWR meetup on Nov 21 (speakers are scheduled!)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 16 17:15:11 EST 2018

This is moderately off-topic but not entirely. In the meeting
announcement I said that HiveWR was organizing a meetup for Nov 21,
but I did not have details about the speakers. Now I do:

Joanne Atlee is a professor at the School of Computer Science at the
University of Waterloo. She will speak about the Technovation
Challenge, a tech enterpreneurship competition for girls.

Paula Hutchison is a Senior Engineer with Geosyntec Consultants. She
will be talking about the WE ACT initiative, which is encouraging the
participation of women in engineering.

Leanne Kerford is a Software Engineer at Square. She will talk about
how software development can be unintentionally exclusionary.

Sharon Kennedy is the co-founder of Nomadic Labs, a digital agency for
non-profits and social enterprises. She will talk about starting an
organization called Women and Color with a volunteer-only team.

Although the theme is women in engineering, the event is intended to
be inclusive, and everybody is welcome.

The event is free and will be held at the MappedIn offices on Albert
Street. You can register for the event here:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/hive-wr-meetup-7-tickets-52072897438

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org