[kwlug-disc] SSD Failure Symptoms and Recovering Data?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 7 23:25:07 EST 2018

So, the excepted happened and a laptop with an SSD failed.

The laptop itself is OK, despite its age, but the SSD (added in the past
few years), failed.
First, it was a SMART error like this:

Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Device info:
HP SSD S700 120GB, S/N:xxxx, FW:Q0330B1, 120 GB

Then it was 3 sectors, and yesterday it was 33 sectors.

I started copying the data off of the SSD to an external USB disk. It is
working, but it is very slow.
The shell command is slow when I press tab for command completion. Most
commands time out (systemd reports several timeouts). The disk is mounted
read only.

The copying is now a day and a half for a only a few tens of GB. The target
disk flickers once every minute or so.

Why is this copying too slow?

Another question is what replacement SSD should I get. Ron Singh posted a
while back about Samsung EVO 860, which are still on sale at Canada
Computers and BestBuy (ends tomorrow), e.g.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=120021

Are these still a good value? Or are there alternatives?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.