[kwlug-disc] Cloning smaller to larger SSDs (Clonezilla/Gparted)

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Nov 5 14:47:50 EST 2018

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 2:27 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 2:23 PM Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
>
>> Next steps would vary depending on your filesystems. You can then resize
>> your partitions. I use LVM, and I just carefully delete the current
>> partition, and create one with the same starting to fill the rest of the
>> disk using parted, then `pvresize` and I'm good to use that space as
>> needed. There are tools that can automate that (I think parted itself can),
>> but I prefer manually doing it.
>>

> Assuming one does not use LVM, and only uses ext4 filesystems.
>
> How can one resize the partitions safely?

1. Always have a backup. In this case, your original disk should still
serve that function.
2. parted resizepart will move the end-point of your partition. I've always
deleted and recreated the partition, but resizepart should be significantly
safer (I'm not sure if it's always been there, but it's in CentOS, so I'll
likely use this from now on).
3. resize2fs /dev/sdXY (note: this is a ext*-specific tool)

Filesystems without LVM sucks though, because you can only ever easily
expand your last filesystem. If you have four partitions, and wanted to
resize one in the middle, you're pretty much SOL.

Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>