[kwlug-disc] OT: General Data Protection Regulation

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat May 26 11:42:44 EDT 2018

I am trying to understand the EU's new General Data Protection
Regulation (GDPR).

Does this only apply to personally-identifiable information (PII)?

Does it protect EU citizens from being put into demographic buckets
that are not personally identifiable and being targeted/profiled in
that way?

Does this do something useful or will it turn into a hinderance like
the irritating "we use cookies and if you want to use our
website you must close this modal popup" nonsense? Am I going to have to
close more modal popups because of this? (Has this cookie popup thing
done anything productive at all?)

Is there a good overview about the impacts of this thing?

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org