[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 18 Unity/GDM3 to LightDM/LXDE/OpenBox

Mark Steffen rmarksteffen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 12:51:50 EDT 2018

JK> But isn't LXDE about to undergo a major rewrite?

Not sure, really hadn't had an interest in following it.  For desktops I
have always just used the default Ubuntu environment and themed it up a
little.  But I also usually get 8GB RAM in my devices.  This laptop had 4,
which I figured would be fine, but I've noticed once I get a few browser
tabs open, Evolution, LibreOffice, my remote screenshare tool (which is a
Windows app but runs fine in Wine) along with the Signal and Skype snaps,
it can occasionally get pretty laggy and I noticed swap getting a fair bit
of use.  So I thought I'd try lightweight.  In fairly to xfce I haven't
tried it; I'm pretty happy with lxde though.  Will advise if my opinion
changes :-)

*Mark Steffen*
Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile: +1.226.600.0464
*"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*