[kwlug-disc] Meltown fix for Linux kernel

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Jun 10 13:39:43 EDT 2018

An update ...

Last January, I used "apt-mark hold" to make the kernel not update to the
Meltdown/Spectre patches until things are stable again. Thanks for the hint
on that command from this group.

Then after a couple of months, I started with my own laptop and unheld the
kernel, and let it run for a few weeks, then did the same on the dedicated
servers I manage, starting with my home server.

By end of May, all the servers have the patches that were issued so far,
and I am happy to report no issues at all. Did not notice any performance
hit either. There may be one, but it is not noticeable.