[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu going back to Xorg

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 18:23:16 EST 2018

Wayland is Gnome's (and Red Hat's) experiment, not Ubuntu. Ubuntu went with
Wayland in 17.10 because they said, "whelp, let's do Gnome now."

Wayland the default in 17.10, but it's trivial to switch back to X.org.
X.org will be the default in 18.04, but it will be trivial to switch to
Wayland.

They need to figure out what to do about screensharing and remote desktop
with Wayland. They realized they can't ship an LTS without that. But once
they do, and once the kinks are worked out, it's pretty clear that Wayland
will be replacing X going forward.

Darcy.