[kwlug-disc] Recommendations on ethernet cable tool sets, kits?

Nickle, Brian brian at nickle.ca
Sun Jan 28 15:03:28 EST 2018

Canada Computers has kits for like $20 with crimpers and punchdown tool.
Little bit more for simple continuity tester included.  Whenever I can help
it I avoid modular connectors and use 110 punchdown connectors and buy pre
made patch cables.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1340_92_94&item_id=112947

All network kits should be safe to use.  Just disconnect any POE before
working on it more as percaution of not damaging the equipment.

If you need to measure signal strength such and loss and noise you are
looking at a very expensive tester $2000+.  More than likely all you
require is a continuity tester that tells you all of the wires are
connected. I have a fluke tester which tests Poe, does DHCP and ping tests
and is even capable of connectivity testing on fiber connections.  It cost
over $2,000 and it does not perform signal strength testing.  I believe the
newer fluke modes do have some kind of signal strength measure at around
the $2000 mark.  I've used a $30k Fluke tester which does have signal
strength a few times and only once has it been useful is showing that a
network line was getting interference for some heavy machinery.