[kwlug-disc] Meltown fix for Linux kernel

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jan 22 17:51:43 EST 2018

Um, Ubuntu and Debian both have packages "intel-microcode" that have
been a standard part of stable/updates for a long time, well before
the Spectre/Meltdown issues.

> Package: intel-microcode Version: 3.20180108.0~ubuntu16.04.2
> Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug Installed-Size:
> 1,507 kB Depends: iucode-tool (>= 1.0) Recommends: initramfs-tools
> (>= 0.113~) Conflicts: microcode.ctl (<< 0.18~0) Homepage:
> http://feeds.downloadcenter.intel.com/rss/?p=483&lang=eng
> Supported: 5y Download-Size: 1,088 kB APT-Sources:
> http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
> Packages Description: Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs
> This package contains updated system processor microcode for Intel
> i686 and Intel X86-64 processors.  Intel releases microcode updates
> to correct processor behavior as documented in the respective
> processor specification updates.

(yes, that's from the vulnerable one that's just been rolled back)

And if your were fortunate/clever enough to purchase AMD instead of
Intel then there's "amd64-microcode".

If you haven't been updating *-microcode then your CPU will use the
original, burned-in microcode, full of bugs present at original
manufacturing (unless you've been updating your BIOS/UEFI, which may
have supplied microcode patches for you).

I recommend that you install the *-microcode package (at the current
revision level), especially in today's environment of rampant hardware
vulnerabilities.

There's an explanation of how Debian handles microcode:
https://wiki.debian.org/Microcode

- --Bob, who is about to embark on another round of patching servers.