[kwlug-disc] Drupal 7 question

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Jan 21 12:46:50 EST 2018

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 12:37 PM, Ronald Barnes <ron at ronaldbarnes.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 2018-01-21 08:07 AM:
>
> First a side point: Why PHP 7.1? The 16.04 LTS version is 7.0 and it
>>  runs Drupal 7 successfully.
>>

> I've had so many issues setting up this little server that I'd switched
> to PHP 5.6 to see if that helped.
>
> It didn't, but I recall from an answer you gave on a previous question
> that Drupal 7 and PHP 7 worked together fine.
>

> So, since everything was mostly working save this one issue, I switched
> back to PHP 7, but saw 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2 available.
>
> I chose the safest looking (middle) option.

Hmmm.

I only see 7.0 in the repositories for 16.04 LTS.

But if it works, don't fix it.

> Second, check the settings.php for each site, and make sure that you
>>  have values for the following:
>>
>> ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime', 200000); ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime',
>> 200000);
>>

> That was the problem!
>
> For reasons beyond comprehension, some dumbass (*cough*) had set those
> values to 10 in the distant past.

Correction and clarification:

The default value for the second parameter is 2,000,000, not 200,000
(without commas
of course). It is an odd number that we've had in Drupal for maybe 15
years.

It is the number of seconds to keep the session cookie, so the default is
23+ days.

Adjust up or down for how long you want users logged in (including you),
and after
that time has elapsed, they will be logged out automatically (the browser
expires the
cookie).

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin