[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 17:47:49 EST 2018

Understandable. The main reason I mentioned the various DEs was simply the
fact that most Linux newbies will likely be refugees seeking shelter from
the Microsoft storm, but will still be more amenable to making a change to
Linux if the change is marginal. I life Xfce for it's simplicity,
intuitiveness and it's resemblance to a weird hybrid of XP/W7 desktop. Mein
frau likes Mate for it easy of access to just about every program just like
Win-XP. Most folks I have worked with on the transition absolutely abhorred
Gnome3 and KDE as they feel that too much is "hidden". I think they didn't
care for the task/apps ribbons and bars. I tend to agree with them, but I
am a certified card-carrying Luddite, so, there it is.

Since Ubuntu is not going to be doing any furthering of  Unity and will be
focusing on Gnome3, definitely a showing of 16.04.3 with Gnome3 make sense
with a nod to Mate and Xfce.  My experience with openSUSE was abysmal. I
would welcome an opportunity to see an install and see how you deal with
that nasty software updater and software installer.

I personally went the Mint way and Xfce DE  as I have absolutely control
over the various levels of updates since updating for the sake of updaing
can sometimes break stuff.
The way Linux Mint curates their offering and their update mechanism seems
to suit my sensibilities perfectly. So far(11 months), no breakage on my
production machines, yaaa!

Let me know if I stick with a 128G SSD or pop in the WD 500G 7200RPM HDD.

Thanks,

Ron Singh
"in transit, via mobile comm device"