[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Jan 16 21:06:08 EST 2018

I think a presentation on GNU/Linux file systems is a great idea!  Always good to go back to basics sometimes

--Bob

On January 16, 2018 3:34:55 PM EST, Chamunks <chamunks at gmail.com> wrote:
>If its a noobie meetup covering the Linux filesystem and things like
>that
>could really help get peoples head around things its logical to us
>veterans
>but it might help to discuss the differences between the major distros
>and
>some of the history etc.
>
>On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 8:17 AM CrankyOldBugger
><crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> +1 on the edX course...
>>

>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 at 03:08 Sandeep Johri <sandeepjohri at rogers.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd also suggest joining the free Introduction to Linux course on
>EdX.  I
>>> found it helpful.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Sandeep
>>>
>>> From:
>>> Sandeep Johri
>>>
>>> On 15/01/18 01:01 PM, peter_melse at gto.net wrote:
>>>
>>> DevOps talk suggestions:
>>>
>>> configuration management (puppet, chef, ansible, salt, etc.)
>>> automated deployment (satellite, the foreman)
>>> patch management (aptly, landscape, and the rhel equivalents?)
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>> *Subject:* [kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies
>>> *Date:* Mon, 15 Jan 2018 11:18:10 -0500
>>> *From:* <jvj at golden.net> <jvj at golden.net>
>>> *To:* kwlug <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>
>>> *Reply-To:* KWLUG discussion <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>
>>> <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>
>>>
>>> Linux & Linux admin for newbies
>>>
>>> In last week's meeting an attendee was self described as a Linux
>newbie
>>> and explained that Linux admin was an interest.
>>> As I identified with the "newbie" aspect I gave the attendee a short
>list
>>> of topics to study.
>>> This list (somewhat modified) follows - and shows that I am somewhat
>>> dated.
>>> And I invite the members to copy and and add to this list to help
>other
>>> new newbies who might subscribe to these discussions.
>>>

>>> *IX == UNIX (history)
>>> (with reference to Tim's recap of last week.)
>>>
>>> Command Line Input aka CLI
>>> Terminal
>>> Screen
>>> Shell & BASH Shell
>>> BASH scripting
>>> tar
>>> ssh
>>> gnome
>>> unity
>>> gnome vs unity
>>> text editors: vi & vim & [other]
>>>
>>> Linux admin (aka DevOps)
>>> I have nothing to add here - and am looking for topics.
>>> (hint: I go back to fsck)
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JohnJ

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting