[kwlug-disc] Meltown fix for Linux kernel

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 11 15:30:34 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Hubert Chathi <hubert at uhoreg.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 13:52:03 -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> said:
>
> > I looked at the pages documenting 'pinning' of .deb packages, and it
> > seems to be an overly complex task.
>
> > Any ideas on how to bypass kernel upgrades while applying updates for
> > other packages to go through?
>
> The easiest way is probably to mark the packages as held back by doing
> "apt-mark hold [packagename]".  This will prevent the package from being
> automatically upgraded or removed.

That worked fine even on 'indirect' packages ...

For example

 linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

When full-upgrade is run, it wants to install these as NEW packages:

  linux-headers-4.4.0-109{a} linux-headers-4.4.0-109-generic{a}
linux-image-4.4.0-109-generic{a}
  linux-image-extra-4.4.0-109-generic{a}

Doing the hold prevents that:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

In almost 17 years with Linux I never needed to hold back the kernel ...

The curse of 'May you live in interesting times' ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.