[kwlug-disc] OT: Linode lish

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesb.ca
Tue Jan 9 08:57:16 EST 2018

Charles M wrote:
> I managed to delete the ssh key from both my workstation and backup USB
> key for one of my domains on Linode. Has anyone used the Linode lish
> tool to recover/reset keys, is this possible or should I be calling Linode?

I had a similar issue to you when my laptop hard drive corrupted and
lost my one SSH key.

You are going to need to reset your root password on Linode[0], you are
going to need to shutdown your instance before hand. Then you can login
as root though the web based lish console or though ssh lish console[1]
then you can login as your username account and add your new SSH public key.

A good thing to remember is that you have now opened a possible attack
vector on your server so you will want to close that.

[0]:
<https://linode.com/docs/quick-answers/linode-platform/reset-the-root-password-on-your-linode/>
[1]: <https://linode.com/docs/networking/using-the-linode-shell-lish/>