[kwlug-disc] OT: Sensible Transcode/Handbrake settings for Blu-ray files

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:47:48 EST 2018

I've been having good luck lately (after a long time trying to figure out
what I was doing wrong) with handbrakeCLI.  However, I'm not ripping, I'm
taking already-made mp4s, adding subtitles and creating mkvs.  So your
mileage may vary.  But if you can figure out the command-line parameters
then you can set-it-and-forget-it and get your desktop back.

What I really like about the CLI version is that I can make up a big script
that will handle dozens of movies in sequence.  I just let it roll
overnight.

But..  45 gig is indeed too big for a Blu-ray.  I've got 4k rips that are
less than half that size.

One thing I noticed when looking at handbrake forums is that it's better to
use presets (try to use the presets, or better yet, make your own) and that
setting your bitrate to Constant Quality is supposed to be better for file
sizes than any variable bitrate quality.  Suggested is Constant Quality of
22-23 for Bluray and 18-19 for DVD.

Now those of you with sensitive ears might want to look away now... but if
you have a legit copy of a movie, you could try to download a orrent that
has a nice file size.  "From what I hear", there's a popular guy name YIFY
who does just that.  I believe his website is at yts.ag, but be prepared
for popups.  Of course, I would know nothing about this torrent stuff, but
I hear that he is an expert at making good resolution rips at low file
sizes.  Now if you happen to find an explanation of _how_ he does this
somewhere on the web, then please do share with the group.