[kwlug-disc] possible presentation ideas

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sat Dec 15 11:07:22 EST 2018

Advanced bash would be lovely. It seems to me that tutorials about bash
skip important context of unix shell.

Can you explain fundamental context of where and how each of function
outputs are directed. Without this intuitive simple knowledge I find it
difficult to assemble proper conditionals. Cause there is return value,
out, err out. How are these picked up and used. Show this on making
conditionals.

Everything else should trivially follow: if, for, differences between '
and ", functions and local variables. And examples can be done to
reiterate function output and pickup flow. It is trivial to google for
how if or for looks, but none of tutorial concentrate on
what-comes-where context of unix functions, making it frustrating to
write a non-hello-world things.

Cheers.

On 2018-12-14 9:45 p.m., tomg at sentex.ca wrote:
> Greetings LUG members!
>
> Here's some things I'm weak on in Linux despite decades of
> using it and could possibly use a presentation on:
>
> AWK.  I haven't used this yet.
>
> Advanced SED.
>
> Advanced VI or VIM.
>
> Advanced BASH.
>
> Even RCS or CVS.
>
> How GRUB works and what the difference between installing it
> and updating it is, especially, differences from LILO or rEFInd.
>
> How (U)EFI works.
>
> How GUID partition tables work on Linux.
>
> All the 10 new filesystems, /sys this /dev/thing that.  To be
> honest I've never understood the point of devfs or udevd either.
>
> What sysfs is and how it works and why it exists.
>
> I just went over the past meeting list of KWLUG (and found a lot of
> stuff I was interested in) but I don't think any of these have been
> covered.
>
> ---
>
> Also there could be a link to the kwlug-announce mailing list on the
> home page, I only found out about it when someone mentioned it here
> on this list.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Mikalai Birukou