[kwlug-disc] Run, don't walk

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:31:31 EDT 2018

I use Samsung 850 Pro(repl. by the 860 Pro) in my work laptops, I use 850
EVO and 860 EVO in my play laptops.
I was sold on the 850 Pro and EVO years back due to the perceived greater
reliability of the v-nand tech over the tlc tech.
At my Waterloo IT shop, Intel Samsung and Crucial/Micron were the norm with
Intel models dying frequently, Crucial needing BIOS updates frequently, but
Samsung never ever dying and never a validated need for a BIOS update. We
went all Sammy back in 2013 and never looked back.

I did very recently purchase some Kingston TLC 250G devices for play use, I
think I dropped about 60 on each, same vendor, Tigerdirect. Cheap to the
point of being disposable.

Khalid, for laptop use, smart-home storage/monitoring uses, I would stick
with the Samsung, I just feel a lot more comfortable with  them.
I do wish the 860 Pro would go on sale as they are the best from a
durability standpoint, but that never seems to happen.

Check this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-860-evo-ssd-review,5446.html

These folks describe IT bits in excruciating detail and that certainly
holds true for SSDs.
See their coverage of the Samsung 860 EVO. I am sure they covered the
current crop of Intel, Kingston and Crucial too.

Thanks,

Ron Singh