[kwlug-disc] TV watching / Kodi / Netflix

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Aug 28 11:00:27 EDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day everyone,
>
> With the recent expiry of one of my little G-Box Android devices, I'm once
> more looking into this lovely mess of managing media and getting it all to
> work harmoniously.
>
> Current setup are Android boxes on the front end, with MythTV Recordings
> (for OTA), an NFS media library and now Netflix.  I use Kodi to browse the
> NFS library and MythTV recordings and access Netflix with the Android app.
>
> It's still a little clunky as navigating Netflix works best with a mouse
> of some kind, while Kodi is all one remote.
>
> So I'm wondering what's changed?  What do others do to consume media from
> multiple sources?  Is it worth exploring Netflix on Linux and dropping
> Android boxes?

I'm pretty happy with AndroidTV, with Plex running on my basement server.

Plex has some kind of OTA support now, but I don't have any equipment to
try that. Downside is some of their features require a license. I picked up
a lifetime "pass" fairly cheap a few years ago. If cost was an issue, I'd
be looking at Emby, personally.

My main two TVs both have AndroidTV (that is, the "AndroidTV"-version of
android, not a generic android-box). It's built into my Sony TV, and I'm
using a MiBox on the other TV. It works well enough, has the apps I want
(netflix, youtube, plex, and now steam streaming), and is generally
non-intrusive.

I also have a FireTV stick for the old TV in the basement. It runs a
amazon-based non-google android build which also has plex and netflix.
However, there is no native youtube app, and it heavily steers you toward
Amazon Prime content, placing shows on the home screen. So if you're not a
Prime subscriber, or watch a lot of youtube, the FireTV might not be
desirable.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>