[kwlug-disc] OT: Experience with Chatr wireless?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:17:05 EDT 2018

Thanks everyone! I’ll give them a shot. When we first signed on with Wind
mobile they were quite good, but over time the service side of things
seemed to fall off completely. Great to know it’s the Rogers network, might
actually be an improvement over our network despite the fact the chatr map
looked similar to Freedom’s.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:08 PM Stuart Seeley <stuart at lowlevel.ca> wrote:

> Sounds reasonable to me... I would give Chate a try.  I have also heard
> many complaints about Freedom and Wind... people become unreachable until
> the come back to Rogers...
>
> Where I work.. we actually roam US phones on Verizon since it's just a
> complete rip off up here...
>
> Stuart
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does anyone have experience with Chatr wireless? We've been having
>> > issues with Freedom mobile lately and are looking at switching 3
>> > phones off, but don't want to be tied to a contract (we have 3
>> > unlocked phones).
>> >
>> > Our current plans with Freedom are unlimited Canada/US talk, text and
>> > data. We could do without the data, but talk + text are important. We
>> > looked at the family plans for Rogers/Telus but they seem a bit high
>> > for what we need.
>> >
>> > Coverage for Chatr is obviously a concern. They don't seem to be
>> > better than Freedom from what I can see, but reviews of the local
>> > chatr seem for the most part positive.
>>
>> Chatr is Rogers, so the network coverage should be great, same as Rogers
>> proper.
>>
>> They have a great plan for $45 unlimited calls and texts and includes 4GB
>> of data + 1GB as a bonus.
>>
>> But, they differentiate between in-zone, and not in zone, for data.
>>
>> https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/content/coverage
>>
>> So you don't get data west of London, or north of here, as a friend found
>> out a few weeks ago, after switching to Chatr.
>>
>> Luckily, they are month to month, so my friend will switch to Koodoo, who
>> have data coverage out of 'zone'.

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux