[kwlug-disc] Sault Ste Marie Linux?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Aug 16 15:05:53 EDT 2018

If the PPA desktop environment aren't working for you, then many of the
destop environments have their own distro spin. My go-to distro for
several years has been https://ubuntu-mate.org officially supported by
Canonical.

I used to have multiple desktops installed (I started with KDE for my
first non-experimental installation), but I find that Mate is the DE
that most closely works the way I do. There's hardly anything that gets
in the way of me getting things done. Auto-maximizing windows that touch
the top of the screen are the notable exception, but I've been too lazy
to find out how to make that stop.

I haven't upgraded to 18.04 yet, since 16.04.5 is working well enough
and still supported. I'm a little wary of the "Snap" packages that are
supposed to be pervasive on 18.04.

--Bob.