[kwlug-disc] Sault Ste Marie Linux?

doug moen doug at moens.org
Thu Aug 16 11:56:29 EDT 2018

Some years ago, I tried installing Mate on Ubuntu from some PPA, but the
result was not entirely satisfactory. No instability, but the help system
wasn't ported, and there were other usability issues. I'm going to try Mate
again now that I know there is a package for it in the Ubuntu Universe
repository.

On Ubuntu, the Mate and xfce desktop environments are part of the Universe
repository. The Universe repository is enabled by default on new Ubuntu
installs. This repository isn't officially supported by Canonical, the way
that Main and Restricted are, but I usually don't have a problem with
software from Universe. Note that most of the software available by default
in Ubuntu, including most of the software pulled from Debian, is in
Universe.

I don't think that installing software packages from the Universe
repository can be expected to cause instability, otherwise they wouldn't
enable this repo by default. I've been running Ubuntu with multiple DEs
installed for at least 10 years, haven't seen it to be a problem.

I guess that with a DE-centric distro like Mint, you are getting full
support from the distro maintainers for the DE. However, note that there
are official Ubuntu variant distros for different desktop environments like
KDE, Mate and XFCE. I assume these distros are just varying the default set
of packages used by the base install, so if I install the 'kubuntu-desktop'
package, I'm getting the same KDE with the same level of support as if I
installed the Kubuntu distro?