[kwlug-disc] Thank you to the people with Linux touchscreen suggestions

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Apr 27 10:54:29 EDT 2018

My laptop functions well. It has an Intel Core i5, and I upgraded its RAM.
No heavy applications.

The one at Canada Computers would have been good for a project that needs
long battery life, lots of storage and high resolution, but not much CPU
power.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Mark Steffen <rmarksteffen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is true.  They had an Acer with a 64GB SSD for $339 but it was a
> refurb, otherwise similar specs (slightly better N4200 CPU), unsure if it's
> still on sale or not, still that may not be enough storage for your needs.
>
> Not sure what you do with Linux but I'm not a game player, mainly
> web/LibreOffice/RDP/ssh so for me, 32GB would be a tight squeeze but very
> doable, but everyone's needs are different.
>
> *Mark Steffen*
> Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile: +1.226.600.0464
> *"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*
>

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mark,
>>
>> At Canada Computers, a 256GB SSD that will fit is $124. That gives it
>> decent storage.
>>
>> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_
>> 1229_1296&item_id=103977
>>
>> That means that in total, it will be $445 with tax. No longer a cheap
>> option, and same price as conventional laptops.
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Mark Steffen <rmarksteffen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It runs Linux, the but comes installed with Windows 10 Home.  The one I
>>> have is 4GB here is the link just so we're on the same page:
>>>
>>> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_57
>>> 7_367&item_id=117289
>>>
>>> I doubt the battery is replaceable and I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade
>>> the RAM.  You CAN add another M.2 SATA drive though (there is a door for it
>>> on the bottom).  Linux for most use cases should be fine with that CPU and
>>> amount of RAM, but if you are planning to game, do hardcore Blender stuff
>>> or anything else RAM/CPU intensive then maybe this isn't for you, but it
>>> would certainly work fine for my own daily driver.  You could probably dual
>>> boot it with Linux on the 32GB drive and get a 120GB drive for Windows or
>>> something; I'd suspect the process would go something like:
>>>
>>> 1) disable secure boot in Windows 10
>>> 2) clonezilla the 32GB SSD over to a bigger SSD in the M.2 slot
>>> 3) reconfigure the BIOS to boot from the M.2 SSD, disable secureboot in
>>> bios
>>> 4) install Linux on the 32GB SSD and put grub for dual boot on the M.2