[kwlug-disc] Thank you to the people with Linux touchscreen suggestions

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Apr 26 11:57:11 EDT 2018

Thanks Mark,

At Canada Computers, a 256GB SSD that will fit is $124. That gives it
decent storage.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1296&item_id=103977

That means that in total, it will be $445 with tax. No longer a cheap
option, and same price as conventional laptops.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Mark Steffen <rmarksteffen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> have is 4GB here is the link just so we're on the same page:
>
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=
> 710_577_367&item_id=117289
>
> I doubt the battery is replaceable and I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade
> the RAM.  You CAN add another M.2 SATA drive though (there is a door for it
> on the bottom).  Linux for most use cases should be fine with that CPU and
> amount of RAM, but if you are planning to game, do hardcore Blender stuff
> or anything else RAM/CPU intensive then maybe this isn't for you, but it
> would certainly work fine for my own daily driver.  You could probably dual
> boot it with Linux on the 32GB drive and get a 120GB drive for Windows or
> something; I'd suspect the process would go something like:
>
> 1) disable secure boot in Windows 10
> 2) clonezilla the 32GB SSD over to a bigger SSD in the M.2 slot
> 3) reconfigure the BIOS to boot from the M.2 SSD, disable secureboot in
> bios
> 4) install Linux on the 32GB SSD and put grub for dual boot on the M.2 SSD
>
> Though I haven't tested this method to be sure it works.
>
> *Mark Steffen*
> Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile: +1.226.600.0464
> *"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*
>

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> That is a nice machine for a great price.
>>
>> You say you have 4GB. Was that upgraded from the 3GB on the site?
>> Is the battery replaceable or soldered in (i.e. not user replaceable).
>> Can the hard disk be upgraded to an SSD with more capacity?
>> And, does it run Linux?
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Mark Steffen <rmarksteffen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > If your needs aren't super compute-intensive, Canada Computers has an
>> iSmart
>> > (chinese macbook air type clone) on sale for $269.  It has an N3450
>> Celeron
>> > processor, a 6-8 hour battery life, fingerprint scanner, 32GB SSD (+ M2
>> slot
>> > for expansion) and 1080P screen 4GB RAM.  I bought one for my daughter
>> > play a game she really like after she accidentally broke my macbook.  It
>> > seems well built and performs fine for surfing/office tasks/light
>> gaming.  I
>> > have the UX305CA myself (but running Windows) it's a great laptop.
>> >
>> > Mark Steffen
>> > Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile: +1.226.600.0464

>> hardware?

>> no-flip)
>> and

>> t-12-1-LCD-Touch-Scree

>> --
>> Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>> 2bits.com, Inc.
>> Fast Reliable Drupal
>> Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
>> Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. -- Edsger W.Dijkstra
>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -- anonymous

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal