[kwlug-disc] Switch license or keep it the same?

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesb.ca
Mon Apr 23 15:56:30 EDT 2018

Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:

> I am currently dealing with my first GPL dilemma. I have some scripts
> here: https://github.com/pnijjar/google-calendar-helpers . It is
> currently licensed under an Apache 2.0 license.
>
> In its infinite wisdom Google is sunsetting its goo.gl link shortening
> service. I use link shortening in my email newsletters, so I am
> looking for a replacement. I have decided it is better to outsource
> link shortening to a third party rather than trying to set up my own
> link shortener.
>
> The most promising library for shortening URLs seems to be
> https://github.com/ellisonleao/pyshorteners/ . It is nice because it
> supports many different services, and because it is maintained. It is
> GPL3, so if I use it I have to change the license of my scripts.
>
> There are other libraries that support only one or two services, and
> they are less maintained. (Of course, I could write my own code to
> call the API of one or more services, but let's pretend I won't.)
>
> Nobody is actually using these scripts but me, so this is an academic
> question. But I am struggling with it. Should I use the better library
> and switch my license? Or should I roll my own or use a lesser library
> and keep things Apache 2.0?

The Apache Software Foundation has a page about the compatibility of
GPL-3 and Apache 2.0:
<https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html> as does the GNU
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2>. The tl;dr is
that the FSF considered the Apache License, Version 2.0 to be compatible
with version 3 of the GPL.

What I personally find more of a mindf**k is you are using a scripting
language that is PSFL (Python Software Foundation License) which is a
BSD-style license (GNU also has a page on it
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Python>). So you are
using three different licenses PSFL, Apache License, Version 2.0, and GPL-3.

Personally I hate the GPL as I don't think it's free enough and release
everything under the MIT license.