[kwlug-disc] Switch license or keep it the same?

doug moen doug at moens.org
Sun Apr 15 22:19:42 EDT 2018

I know there are a lot of projects that use dual licensing, but I can't
personally endorse the practice. I use the Apache 2 licence for Curv, which
is compatible with GPL3 and most other licences. I really appreciate the
clear wording of the licence, which makes it absolutely clear what the
rights and obligations are, either if some corporation uses my code, or
some corporation contributes to my code. I stopped using the MIT licence
because different people interpret it in different ways, with respect to my
rights as an author, and the patent grant clause in Apache 2 protects both
me and other users from patent litigation in certain cases. The Apache
foundation recommends against dual licensing:

"The ASF will not *dual*-*license* our software because such *licenses* make
it impossible to determine the conditions under which we have agreed to
collaborate on a collective product, and are thus contrary to the
*Apache* spirit
of open, collaborative development among individuals, industry, and
nonprofit organizations."

I'm sure that paragraph was written by a lawyer working for the Apache
foundation, so it reflects a lawyer perspective on dual licensing.