[kwlug-disc] OT: wordpress.com email follower spam

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Fri Apr 13 10:40:33 EDT 2018

Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote on 2018-04-12 11:42 AM:

> I help administrate a blog on wordpress.com . Over the past few weeks
> I have been seeing a lot of follows by (very likely bogus) outlook.com
> addresses:
>
> "sautermssonyad at outlook.com just followed (blog name)"
>
> Since these are probably spammers I should not take this cavalierly.
> But I am not sure I understand the business model here. What can
> spammers do once they have followed a blog? Following a blog does not
> influence their ability (or not) to leave comments.

I have a similar problem, maybe someone can help me understand the
business model of the spammers.

I have some Drupal sites with "Contact Us" forms behind captchas.

I regularly get spam messages from those contact forms (one site in
particular), often not even in English.

I've often wondered what is the point of solving a captcha to send the
site admin spam?  It's not like they're posting comments - it's disallowed.

My current understanding is that they're using these forms to pollute
email anti-spam measures.

Their garbage gets delivered because my site is considered legitimate by
my provider's email servers; therefore their crap gets allowed, and the
anti-spam services are conditioned to accept their spam as legitimate.

Does this sound plausible?

r b