[kwlug-disc] Switch license or keep it the same?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 12 16:33:56 EDT 2018

Licenses are so weird.

In the C/C++ context, I thought that linking to a GPLed library means
your code has to be GPL as well. That is (I thought) why the LGPL
exists -- so that a program that is not GPLed can link to a library
that is without having to be GPL itself.

When I use a GPLed module in Python it is different?

I agree that I am not distributing the source of the library. The
requirements.txt file specifies the dependency so that my end user can
pull in the requirements. But I am struggling to understand why

from pyshorteners import Shortener

is not analogous to linking to a C library. Like, if I wrote a program
that has

#include <pyshorteners.h>

in my C code but do not distribute the code for pyshorteners.c and
expect end users to download it and compile the program themselves,
then my C program would not need to be GPL even if pyshorteners.c was?

It is not even clear to me why I couldn't distribute the source to
pyshorteners.c along with my source. Isn't that how distributions
ship collections of both GPL and non-GPL code?

- Paul