[kwlug-disc] Switch license or keep it the same?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 12 15:12:03 EDT 2018

I am currently dealing with my first GPL dilemma. I have some scripts
here: https://github.com/pnijjar/google-calendar-helpers . It is
currently licensed under an Apache 2.0 license.

In its infinite wisdom Google is sunsetting its goo.gl link shortening
service. I use link shortening in my email newsletters, so I am
looking for a replacement. I have decided it is better to outsource
link shortening to a third party rather than trying to set up my own
link shortener.

The most promising library for shortening URLs seems to be
https://github.com/ellisonleao/pyshorteners/ . It is nice because it
supports many different services, and because it is maintained. It is
GPL3, so if I use it I have to change the license of my scripts.

There are other libraries that support only one or two services, and
they are less maintained. (Of course, I could write my own code to
call the API of one or more services, but let's pretend I won't.)

Nobody is actually using these scripts but me, so this is an academic
question. But I am struggling with it. Should I use the better library
and switch my license? Or should I roll my own or use a lesser library
and keep things Apache 2.0?

I don't hate the GPL but I chose the Apache license deliberately so
that giant corporations would be willing to use my scripts to send
newsletters. But this is not a big consideration for me.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org