[kwlug-disc] Local places to buy unlocked phones...

Andrew Stevanus (KWLUG) andrew+kwlug at hoot.tech
Wed Apr 11 12:36:26 EDT 2018

It should be noted that CopperheadOS relicensed their changes to CC
BY-NC-SA (note the *NonCommercial*), so they are not actually Free
Software, nor are they even Open Source, by the OSI definition. For that
reason, if you care about that sort of thing, I would stick to
LineageOS. More info:
<https://np.reddit.com/r/fossdroid/comments/5s13ht/a_clarification_about_copperheadoss_present_and/>

If you want something that is as Free as possible, you may want
something that runs Replicant <https://www.replicant.us/>. However, you
should note that because so much ARM hardware depends on non-free blobs,
some things won't work on Replicant (like 3D acceleration, or even
Wi-Fi, in which case you need an adapter). I'm not aware of any store
that sells devices with Replicant pre-installed locally (though I would
love to be corrected on this); this is one such online shop:
<https://tehnoetic.com/mobile-devices>.

Alternatively, there is also the Librem 5
<https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/>, which I have high hopes for. It will
run native GNU/Linux instead of Android. It hasn't actually been
released yet, so you would need to pre-order it. There is always a risk
with pre-orders of unfinished hardware, but Purism has delivered other
hardware before, so I'm not overly concerned about that.