[kwlug-disc] Laptop Revival Sessions?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:29:22 EDT 2018

Computer Recycling has temporarily put our laptop refurbishing on hold
while we're working on rethinking the space and our laptop program. At
the moment we're talking about working on them on a more full-time
basis rather than just having laptop sessions (although I wouldn't be
opposed to sessions happening, and we're considering this for the
future - though in a bit more regular/structured way).

As Paul suggested the vast majority of notebooks are in the Core 2 Duo
(or less range). What we currently have available is a bit jumbled at
the moment as we've been shifting things around, but if you email
cr at theworkingcentre.org with specific specs you're looking for Martin
or I will look for something matching those specs (the cr@ address
goes to both of us so at least one of us should respond). For those
who haven't been to the sessions before it's worth mentioning that we
only sell the notebooks with Xubuntu Linux and they are AS-IS, though
you're welcome to try it out as much as you'd like here.

At this point I'm hoping the changes we're working on will only take a
couple of weeks and I can get back to the list with more details about
future events. The refurbishing events Paul held before were
completely on his own time, so lots of thanks go out to Paul and
everyone who came in to help.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 10:23 PM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc
<kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> Here is the way they used to work: we would come in an refurbish
> laptops that were donated to Computer Recycling. Then Charles would
> make these laptops available for sale. It was not a "put in volunteer
> hours and get a free laptop" thing.
>
> The last time we were doing this the best laptops were about Core 2
> Duos. Maybe that is completely outdated now.
>
> To answer Bob's question: I still have access to the CR space for now.
> The main barriers have been (a) my availability and energy when I was
> working, (b) a paucity of SATA drives (many of them mysteriously
> disappeared, and nobody knows where), (c) Charles and his crew have
> taken up some laptop refurbishment on their own and (d) there were
> some laptop thefts, which caused some consternation in the shop.
>
> I am not opposed to running events again, but it would probably be
> during those warmer months. I will have to check in with Charles to
> see what he thinks, though, and to see whether there are enough spare
> SATA drives to actually run the event.
>
> - Paul
>

> On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 11:42:50PM +0000, Chamunks wrote:
>> How do these revival sessions work for those of us who aren't enlightened
>> I'm in the "market" for a laptop that I can use that isn't completely
>> outdated but also not overpowered I just want something simple and wouldn't
>> totally mind committing a few hours to the cause.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 6:54 PM Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

>> > Speaking of cheap laptops in another thread, will we be having any
>> > more Laptop Revival Sessions, now that the logistics of access to
>> > Computer Recycling are somewhat more complicated?
>> >
>> > It's the kind of thing I prefer to do in cold weather months, which
>> > will soon be behind us.
>> >
>> > - --Bob.

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/