[kwlug-disc] Laptop Revival Sessions?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 1 22:23:46 EDT 2018

Here is the way they used to work: we would come in an refurbish
laptops that were donated to Computer Recycling. Then Charles would
make these laptops available for sale. It was not a "put in volunteer
hours and get a free laptop" thing.

The last time we were doing this the best laptops were about Core 2
Duos. Maybe that is completely outdated now.

To answer Bob's question: I still have access to the CR space for now.
The main barriers have been (a) my availability and energy when I was
working, (b) a paucity of SATA drives (many of them mysteriously
disappeared, and nobody knows where), (c) Charles and his crew have
taken up some laptop refurbishment on their own and (d) there were
some laptop thefts, which caused some consternation in the shop.

I am not opposed to running events again, but it would probably be
during those warmer months. I will have to check in with Charles to
see what he thinks, though, and to see whether there are enough spare
SATA drives to actually run the event.

- Paul