[kwlug-disc] Skype (replacement)

Keefer Rourke mail at krourke.org
Sat Nov 25 23:11:14 EST 2017

Hey all,

While it's all well and good to rant about proprietary software, it's better to find replacements and encourage others to make the switch as well. Skype on a whole is pretty crappy software, and its famous for crappy call quality.

One such replacement was mentioned (Discord) which is also proprietary and mostly focused at gamer audio chat... but a better anologue to Skype may be Wire [1].

Wire has open-source clients on all major platforms, is Linux friendly (distro-agnostic with AppImage), easy to use, and has excellent call quality. They also just recently open-sourced their server [2] and will be providing self-hosting instructions soon! Their hosted version is quite fine though and I've never really had a problem with call quality, video is usually crisp (network allowing), audio never falters, etc.

I've completely replaced Skype with it, and convincing others to switch isn't hard either (usually people tend to be pretty accommodating if they know there are issues with some software platform or another, and signing up for another account these days is just something people tend to do without thinking anyway).

Links:
[1] https://wire.com/en
[2] https://github.com/wireapp/wire-server

--