[kwlug-disc] I miss KWLUG so badly!

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Fri Nov 24 12:43:14 EST 2017

Darcy Casselman wrote on 2017-11-23 09:09 PM:

> Have you met with the VanLUG people in person and talked about this?

Yes, tried that.

"Join the Board" was the constant and only response.

> Being an NFP and having a board kind of infects the organization with a
> bit of procedural officiousness.  Some of that is warranted, especially
> when you start getting into liability issues.

I love this term, "procedural officiousness"!

I should clarify, I'm not against bureaucracy in general - it has its
purposes and its place in the world.

I generally think a LUG doesn't need it, but there may be cases where it
works just fine.

> That said, being on a board is a good experience, I think.  But I'd want
> to get to know them a bit better.  You're taking on liability and
> fiduciary resposibility joining a board. For something like VanLUG, it's
> probably not a big deal, but you want to know what you're getting
> yourself into.  I wouldn't rule it out.

Joining a board could be a learning experience and really widen my
horizons; there's a lot about such things I have no clue about.

But having 9 board members and 5 regular attendees in a tech group that
can't organize a web site after *years* of trying?

> But starting up your own meetup without the baggage isn't a bad idea either.
>
> Good luck!

Thank you!

r b