[kwlug-disc] I miss KWLUG so badly!

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 24 11:45:21 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 08:04:37PM -0800, Ronald Barnes wrote:

> I started tweeting generic stuff about the upcoming meetings, etc.
>
> They don't appreciate that though. The president's thoughts as posted to
> their mailing list:
>
> >I'm going to ask you to refrain from acting on your own individual
> >initiative, without VanLUG approval. You are not authorized to speak
> >on behalf of VanLUG. Only elected board members may do so. This is
> >the last time. What you are doing is not helpful. Next time you do
> >this, I'll contact Twitter. But I'd rather not have to.
>
> VanLUG is fubar, I'm afraid.

This strikes me as the classic case of "don't trust newbies until they
have established themselves", with some bureaucratic thinking mixed
in.

> >Here are some easy wins, based upon looking at the website and what
> >you have told us:
> >
> >- You could work with the website maintainer and make some small
> >   fixes.
>
> I offered to help with the web site, but they want me to join their board
> first (which is the source of all the problems in the first place, IMHO) -
> their reply:
>
> >I'm delighted to hear this. It's something we really need. I've had
> >another offer as well. Do you have any experience with PayPal,
> >MySQL/MariaDB, and/or WordPress? The best thing to do is to join the
> >board at the upcoming AGM, or just the Website Committee.
>
> I can't fathom joining their board - a "Website Committee?!?" explains a
> lot.

I think this is the crux of the matter. If you want to make progress
in VanLUG the price of admission appears to be joining the board. I
dislike boards myself and am reluctant to join them, but in your case
I would consider getting on their stupid committee or joining their
stupid board. There are a number of ways this could play out:

- You join their board and then they let you get stuff done. This is
  the winning situation.
- You join their board and they prohibit you from getting anything
  done. Then you quit the board and be done with VanLUG.
- They refuse to elect you to the board. This is an indeterminate
  state. Either you are able to find ways to earn their trust, or you
  leave them to their own devices.

You could also send them an email explaining the impasse. Point out
that even with the board VanLUG could use some help, and that you are
willing to put some effort into improving it, but that you are
frustrated that you cannot do so without joining the board. Ask them
in which ways you can contribute without being a board member. If they
block you then you are done. If they give you some opportunities that
you can stomach, then take them. In this email you have to be kind and
sunny. If you make them feel defensive then they will probably block
you.

> I've been kicking around the idea to fork VanLUG for months - just
> as a bit of mental exercise.

Unlike others on this thread I am going to put a note of caution
against this. Starting your own group involves:

- Getting a meeting space
- Getting a mailing list and (more importantly) a set of participants
  who will be on your mailing list and attend events
- Getting an organizing team together or acknowledging that the
  organizing will all be on your shoulders

In doing this you will burn bridges with VanLUG (which may be fine,
but I do not expect that they will come to their senses if you fork.
This is not what happened at the many GTA LUG forks.)

Rather than starting something new you might find a different user
group (one that is struggling, or one that is doing well) and put your
focus there. The Ubuntu Vancouver group that Darcy mentioned might be
a good candidate for that. They have an existing userbase and an
existing infrastructure. They probably just need some organizing
energy to get going again.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org