[kwlug-disc] Firefox 57?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 18 13:17:58 EST 2017

I was on the ESR release for some time.

It is good for stability and no surprises ...

But the annoying thing is that the releases are in .tar.bz2 format,
and have to be installed manually when security releases come out.

Time consuming and error prone, because one forgets how to do it for
months, then a security release comes out and I have to dig the script
that does it (which is not totally automated since the download file
name changes because it has the version in it).

I wish there was a .deb that can be installed using gdebi, but I don't
know of one that exists.

Back to 57.

I am considering backing up my Firefix profile, then upgrading to 57
and see how it works. If things go haywire, I can revert the profile
back. But will wait a bit more to see if the extensions in question
get released.