[kwlug-disc] Devuan, a distro without systemd

Dan Siemon dan at coverfire.com
Mon Jul 31 21:43:10 EDT 2017

I'll take the other side.

systemd is great and something like it was long overdue. I don't have a
grey beard but I have used Linux as my desktop OS since '98 and have
also maintained production servers since that time.

Without going into too much detail, here some reasons to like systemd:
- Proper control of process shutdown. When systemd starts a daemon in a
cgroup it is in total control to ensure the daemon shuts down
completely.
- Sane system environments for services. When systemd starts a process,
the process gets a clean env, nothing leaks in from your current
environment.
- journalctl gives the ability to query logs in many ways. The journal
annoyed me at the start too but now not being able to query logs seems
quaint.
- Declarative unit files are much easier to use and less bug prone than
shell scripts. They are also more portable across distros.
- Easy way to use security features like secomp[1] (simple directive in
the unit file).

There are things I don't like but from my PoV, systemd is a clear
improvement.

[1] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seccomp