[kwlug-disc] Music Management

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 12:01:02 EDT 2017

Hi, I'm Jeff, and I'm a former Windows user (this is the part where
everyone says "Hi Jeff")...

Back in the day when I switched from Windows to Linux, I managed to replace
most of my Windows software with Linux equivalents (or better-thans).  But
one program I haven't been able to replace is a music manager called Media
Monkey.  Wonderful piece of software, that.  I haven't been able to find
something in Linux that does all that MM did in one convenient package.

So I'm asking the group for advice or recommendations...

What I need is something that:

1) Looks up album info, cover art, song titles, etc., on the internet and
renames the song files accordingly (and embeds the cover art in the file's
tag info),
2) Converts from any format to 320bit mp3 (usually from FLAC),
3) Moves the whole album from the working folder to my NAS's music folder,
and follows the naming structure that I specify (i.e. Album Artist/Album
Name (year)/Track# - Artist - Title.mp3, etc.),
4) Plays the music.

I know a lot of you are wondering why I would convert FLAC to mp3..  it
seems the radio in the truck can't handle FLAC that well (it could be the
USB stick, not sure yet...)

In the Windows world, MM does this and keeps on smiling.  But I have yet to
find something in Linux that does the same.  Clementine comes close, but
the file management isn't that great.

I've never used Wine before, so I'm also wondering if this would be a good
cheat or not.  I'm concerned about letting a Windows program mess around
with the Linux file system, though...

Does anyone have any suggestions to help out a poor recovering Windows user?