[kwlug-disc] KWLUG is changing

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 3 20:39:22 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 05:57:11PM -0500, B.S. wrote:

> I can step up further, but it's not too clear to me how / where,
> mostly because the needs are somewhat black holes - granted, the
> nature of e-mail makes that a necessity. No doubt they will flesh
> out in time.

Can you help find some presenters for upcoming meetings? That would
help with scheduling.

Can you help with cleaning up the website once the transition has
happened? That would prepare you for being a website maintainer later
on.

Can you help grow the membership by inviting people to meetings via
personal invitation?

> wwitpro seems (seemed?) to have struck a nice balance of website vs
> meeting listings. Don't see why kwlug couldn't be on meetup and
> refer to kwlug.org for 'real' content. Meetup seems 'group'
> cross-pollination likely, so there may be some benefit in that.

If somebody wants to pay for Meetup (hint: it's expensive) then by all
means KWLUG can be on Meetup.

My experience with Meetup has been poor (as I wrote here:
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org/2016/meetup-disappointment/) . The Drupal
user group has also not seen any benefit from being on Meetup. But
there is no question that the trendier groups with all of the coolest
attendees are on Meetup, so if somebody is willing to take the plunge
then please go ahead.

> > There have been a bunch of suggestions about what KWLUG "ought to" do
> over the years...
>
> I think the only way to attack your message / to-do list is in
> person via out of band meetings. Those interested can attend and
> things talked out. Note meetings is plural, inevitably.

This is not my to-do list. This is the to-do list from a bunch of
other people telling me I ought to do things. If you would like to see
one or more of those things happen, then please organize a face to
face meeting. I can try to help with meeting space if you are having
troubles getting some.

My own KWLUG to-do list is more like the following:

- Make sure the KWLUG transitions happen smoothly.
- Make sure that meetings happen with at least the same level as now.
- Make more resilience in the LUG organization.
- Do more of the rewarding things (eg laptop rescue missions) and
  fewer of the unrewarding ones. There are some initiatives I would
  like to see happen, but until/unless the dust settles with respect
  to my own personal/employment situation I am not starting anything
  new.
- Support others in spearheading creative use of LUG resources
  (without needing to be the organizing force).

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org