[kwlug-disc] Linux on the Desktop

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:24:02 EST 2017

Well I have two desktops and one laptop at home.  The laptop has been
Ubuntu for a few years now.  One desktop is also Ubuntu for several years,
but my main desktop has been Windows since who knows when (now currently
Windows 10).  However, I finally managed to get the dual boot with
Ubuntu/Windows on February 4th, and I'm happy to report that I have yet to
boot back into Windows.

I'm still struggling to replace some of my Windows programs with Linux
equivalents but so far so good.  Obviously I lost a few games in the
conversion (haven't tried Wine yet, as I view that as a compromise to my
cold-turkey policy), but for the most part I'm surviving entirely in Linux.

Now with the Ubuntu install on the main desktop, I did have frequent screen
freeze issues as well, but it turns out it was the Nouveau video driver.  I
switched over to the Nvidia driver and it's been working fine since.  Some
mice have issues as well (like the K.A.T. series) but that can be fixed
with some quick googling and a config file.

If you're hesitating to make the switch, can I suggest that you go with a
dual-boot setup like I did?  That way you can keep your Windows
installation but you can make the jump from a "live" Linux install to a
"real" install (where you can better control drivers, software
installations, etc.)  You can partition your Windows drive to make room for
a Linux install or do what I did and just buy another hard drive and
install to there.