[kwlug-disc] Other volunteer opportunities (and a course)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 17 21:24:57 EST 2017

In addition to the laptop rescue mission tomorrow, I have been asked
to send word of a few other volunteer opportunities. There are also a
couple of training things going on which might be of interest.

Family Hack Jam
---------------

Family Hack Jam (http://hivewr.ca/events/family-hack-jam-2017/) is
being held on Monday from 10am-4pm at THEMUSEUM.  HiveWR is doing
something around kids programming games, and they say they can still
use a few helpers. Volunteers do not need to pay for admission to the
event (but will have to volunteer for half a day). If you want to
volunteer email june at hivewr.ca .

KPL Repair-A-Thon
-----------------

The KPL (and HiveWR?) are also running a repair-a-thon on April 8 from
1pm-3pm. They are potentially looking for volunteers who can fix (or
at least diagnose) broken computers. I am not sure what the contact
for volunteering on this is, but if you email hello at hivewr.ca then
you should get somewhere (and if that fails email me and I will see
what I can do).

Java Testing Course for Youth
-----------------------------

Communitech is hosting an organization called ComIT (http://comit.org)
which is running "learn to code" courses for youngish people (ages
18-32). They are putting on a course on Java Unit Testing.
Participants need to apply and be accepted, but if they get in then
there is no tuition fee. Most of the details are here:
https://www.theworkingcentre.org/18546-learn-code-%E2%80%93-100-scholarships-available

I do not think they need volunteers, but they probably need
applicants, so if you know people for whom this is of interest please
spread the word.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org