[kwlug-disc] New kwlug.org alpha 01

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 10 16:04:51 EST 2017

At long last I have something to show you.

https://d8.kwlug.org

Now we can figure out what colour to paint the bikeshed. No, wait.
That's crazy-making! I don't want to know that at all!

Instead I want to know things like:

- "Functionality X is missing from the website, and I am used to it
  being there"
- "Menu function Y is messed up and/or not intuitive"
- "On page Z there is the following problem"
- "The site is not usable on browser A and operating system B
  for the following reason"
- "Functionality C really needs to be on the website, for the
  following reason"
- "I am getting security certificate problems on browser D."

There are a bunch of issues that I know about already, but which I
have not yet written up for public consumption. Some quick things:

- All user accounts have been disabled except mine, because I have
  gone mad with power. User accounts that at some point created
  content on the site exist but are disabled. User accounts that never
  created content have been deleted (because there were hundreds of
  spam accounts I cleaned out). I am happy to reactivate accounts for
  people who want to poke around. Try reactivating your account
  yourself (https://d8.kwlug.org/user )
- Any link to "kwlug.org" (including many internal links) will go to
  the old site. I am interested in collecting a list of these pages so
  that we can fix them, however.
- Pictures should mostly work, but there are some old entries that had
  header pictures. Those are probably broken.
- There are no sidebars yet, because I do not know what sidebars
  should be yet.
- iCal feeds are not working at all (but they will come eventually,
  when the Drupal 8 support is better).
- Some of the old RSS feeds are broken. There still needs to be an RSS
  feed for all content. We will make redirects from the old site links
  to the new ones.
- The "Other places to find us" block did not get moved over. I may
  create this manually.

If the site looks boring then I am sorry. That was half-intentional.
Here were the main goals:

- Work better on mobile devices (please test this!)
- Be more streamlined for finding information people care about
- Not be a content-creation hub any more, since few people were
  creating content (but if people really want to continue blogging on
  the site this can be arranged)
- To clean up some of the cruft but maintain as much historical
  information as possible
- To make meetings the focus of the site, by doing things like linking
  podcasts and video to the meeting nodes.

This is (obviously) not the final version of the website. It is taken
from an old pull of the database.

I will document the status on the old website, and track things to
fix/feature requests there.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org