[kwlug-disc] Adventures in dual boot land...

Sandeep Johri sandeepjohri at rogers.com
Tue Feb 7 19:59:45 EST 2017

Based on my 'limited understanding' of the issues you faced - thought
I'd share my success story.

I installed windows first on a separate hard drive - like you did.

I thereafter installed Linux (Antergos) on a second hard drive which is
where grub was installed too.  While installing Grub - Windows 10 was
recognized and configured.

Thereafter in the pc bios settings - I made the Linux Drive as my boot
drive.  Not had any issues so far and can boot into Linux or Windows.
My understanding is that any widows 10 updates touch the windows 10
drive only and any Antergos updates including grub updates, touch the
Linux drive only.  I also have the option of booting directly into
windows 10 (via the bios) if needed - I haven't done that in a while.
Just to reiterate - these are separate hard drives as opposed to
separate partitions.  Additionally I had installed Windows 7 first and
upgraded to Windows 10 - not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Sandeep

From:
Sandeep Johri