[kwlug-disc] So I was auditing my accounts online and thought of something.

Andrew Stevanus (KWLUG) andrew+kwlug at hoot.tech
Sun Dec 17 19:25:17 EST 2017

I believe I understand a little better now what you're talking about.

Services like Mailinator aren't ideal because they usually function as
open mailboxes where anyone who knows the address can see the inbox.
Also, they are frequently blocked by services for signup because of spam
concerns.

Hosting your own email (or at least using your own domain) also isn't
ideal because even if you have a wildcard/alias setup to use a different
address for each service, you're still the only one using the domain (or
one among a very small number). You would have to register different
domains for each service you sign up to, which would quickly become
costly. Really, the only thing it's good for is preventing spam (you can
filter spam much more easily if it only comes to a specific address;
plus, you know which service sold you out), and, of course, having
control of your own email setup, increasing privacy and extensibility.

Signing up for a new email account every time you sign up for a new
service is tedious, but is likely the best option for preserving
privacy. One problem is that you now have a hundred different mailboxes
to check for new email. You could setup forwarding to one address (if
the provider allows it), but then the email provider knows who you are
(also everyone else in the world would also know if that information
gets leaked). Additionally, how much are you willing to trust a free
email provider? Gmail, of course, mines all of your data, and because
Google is a member of PRISM, the NSA also has a copy of all of your
mail. (I sometimes wonder what would happen if Gmail's entire database
got leaked. It would be pretty disastrous.) The most trustworthy ones
are probably the smaller providers who get sufficient donations and/or
provide freemium services. Here's a list of privacy-conscious email
providers: <https://prxbx.com/email/> and ones that work through Tor:
<https://www.reddit.com/r/onions/comments/6krt34/list_of_onion_email_providers/>

ProtonMail is probably one of the better providers. Their free plan
supports plus addressing (user+alias at protonmail.com gets redirected to
user at protonmail.com) and their paid plans support up to 50 aliases.
Perhaps most importantly, all of the emails are stored encrypted on the
server with a key derived from your password which only you know, so
ProtonMail can't be compelled to hand over their contents (the most they
could probably be forced to do is make an unencrypted copy of new
incoming mail before it gets encrypted). The downside is that you have
to use their webmail or their mobile app; you can't use a local
IMAP/SMTP client because of how their encryption works. Fortunately,
they're working on a bridge to fix this:
<https://protonmail.com/bridge/>. You would run it locally on your
computer and it would provide an IMAP/STMP interface that you connect to
and proxy client-side encrypted information in the background.
Unfortunately, it does not yet run on GNU/Linux, though this is planned.

A truly ideal solution would be one in which sites that you sign up to
don't know who you are and can't link your identity *and* the email
providers you use also don't know who you are and can't link your
identity *and* your communications are end-to-end encrypted so no one
but the sender and the receiver can see the message. I don't think a
service like that currently exists. Email isn't really designed for it.

This whole conversation is basically about self-sovereign identity, so
anyone who's interested in that may be interested in this talk at
ADISummit on that topic: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZbyiJqKT8c>.
(It doesn't really talk about email in particular, but rather the
concept of identity itself and why you might not want to reveal it
everywhere you go.)