[kwlug-disc] Anyone using Rust?

doug moen doug at moens.org
Thu Dec 7 10:32:26 EST 2017

Raymond repeatedly claims that C++ will never replace C, but the reality is
that it already has. All of the major web browsers are written in C++, not
C. Google's infrastructure is written in C++, not C (with some newer stuff
written in Go). I worked for Bluecoat on a high performance, security
conscious networking appliance, and it is written entirely in C++,
including the kernel. (We used some open source components written in C,
like the FreeBSD network stack and OpenSSL.) Important systems-level
libraries are now written in C++, not C. Examples are Qt, LLVM, Tensorflow,
CGAL, ...

Of course, C will never go away, just as Fortran never went away. Old
projects written in C that were started before C++ was a viable language
(like the Linux kernel) will continue to be written in C. Rewriting a large
project in a different language is something you almost never do, for good
reasons. An interesting exception is the new FireFox Quantum release. The
concurrency model in C and C++ is incredibly unsafe and error prone. Rust
fixes the concurrency problem using a novel type system that can't be back
ported to C or C++. FireFox Quantum is faster and more robust specifically
because the core parts were rewritten in Rust to take advantage of the
concurrency model.