[kwlug-disc] Tip: USB WiFi dongles

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:21:40 EDT 2017

Funny you mention congestion Bob, a couple of times I've run active
wifi scans at our apartment I've gotten 60+ access points (83 once).
We're beside another building that's 18 stories. I'd hate to think
what it's like in the high-rises in downtown Toronto!

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> Charles wrote:
>> Tomato let you boost your router's signal
>
> The problem with a "weak signal" is as much that the laptop WiFi
> doesn't have the oomph to transmit back to the access point.
> Increasing the signal strength on the router is likely to saturate the
> channel, making it even more difficult for a weak signal to be received.
>
> Better to see if there's a less congested WiFi channel, or change the
> antenna on the receiving device (which is what Khalid did, in the
> extreme).
>
> Recently there was an article or conference talk on exactly that
> problem, but my DuckDuck-fu is as weak as a WiFi signal today.
>
> - --Bob.
>

> On 2017-08-30 01:22 PM, Charles M wrote:
>> Khalid we've noticed this with different laptops on the same shelf
>> - some get a stronger signal than others. Whether it's how they
>> implement the antenna (usually around the screen) or the wireless
>> chip itself, we haven't investigated yet. As you've pointed out
>> we've had better success with external wifi+an antenna.
>>
>> It's been awhile since I've played with wireless firmware, but I
>> remember that Tomato let you boost your router's signal. I know
>> lots of folks love OpenWRT. There's a newer version of Tomato that
>> combines Tomato Shibby with some others and works on a few more
>> routers called Advanced Tomato.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My old laptop (~ 2009) was not connecting to a router when
>>> farther away than usual (e.g. in the backyard).
>>>
>>> Turns out that it is not the router to blame. I used a USB WiFi
>>> dongle that I got with my Raspberry Pi bundle a while back, and
>>> it did work.
>>>
>>> The only issue was that this dongle was too long for my liking.
>>>
>>> I looked around on eBay and there are ones that are more compact.
>>> it only costs C$2.20. I ordered it and when it arrived I tested
>>> it and it works as expected. Linux (Xubuntu 16.04) already has
>>> the correct drivers for it. Nothing to configure or fiddle with.
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/112224395371
>>>
>>> So, if your old laptop is not performing as expected re: wifi,
>>> you have another option to try. -- Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>>> 2bits.com, Inc. http://2bits.com Drupal optimization,
>>> development, customization and consulting. Simplicity is
>>> prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra Simplicity is
>>> the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci

> - --
> Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413
> SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
> Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting
> GnuPG Fngrprnt:04F7 742B 8F54 C40A E115 26C2 B912 89B0 D2CC E5EA

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux