[kwlug-disc] Remoting into GNOME desktop

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:08:05 EDT 2017

With the upcoming changes to Ubuntu (GNOME and Wayland), and with the
current similar state of Fedora and other distros, has anyone given any
though as to how to remote into a system such as these and remotely
controlled the desktop (similar to RDP, VNC, etc.)

I'm trying to plan out how I can contact my machines once I upgrade the
Ubuntu boxes, as well as the ones currently running Fedora 26.

It seems that my current solution of VNC or X11VNC over SSH isn't going to
work once they move from X to Wayland.  Sure, I could drop back to X, but I
wanted to see how we can do this like it says in the brochure...

>From what I've seen so far, we're going to really rock the remote
connectivity boat when we switch to Wayland, and the next version of Ubuntu
is supposed to do just that.  As of right now, I am unable to bring up my
personal laptop's Fedora 26 desktop remotely because I haven't been able to
find a Wayland solution.

Connecting to Ubuntu Unity desktops is easy with SSH and VNC (using
TigerVNC in most cases).  But from what I understand, VNCserver (and its
variants) does not support Wayland, only X.

So what we need is:

SSH tunnel (or a similarly secure GUI connection)
a Wayland/GNOME ready GUI presentation.
An "always-on" connection that doesn't depend on someone being logged on at
the server end (for example, if I reboot the server remotely I still want
to come back and see a GUI logon.  AFAIK you can't do this with Vino.)

And of course, ways to achieve this using a client that's either Linux or
Windows (for those of us forced to use Windows at work....)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?