[kwlug-disc] Looking for resources to better understand GPG.

bob+kwlug at softscape.ca bob+kwlug at softscape.ca
Mon Aug 14 12:53:00 EDT 2017

Hey folks!

I've been using GPG for a very narrow set of purposes for many years now and I have a passable grasp of what's going on within that usage.[1]

I'm looking to expand some of that use but would like to make sure I'm doing things right by understanding a little bit better what's actually going on when I do stuff with the command line tools.

To that end, can anyone recommend any good resources for reading up on GPG with examples, use cases and explanations of what's going on under the covers and why you want to do things a certain way?

I'm hoping for a good (dead tree) book recommendation[2], but even a pointer to good on-line docs would be great[3].

Thanks in advance,
(the other)Bob.

[1] I use a vimrc script that automagically decrypts/encrypts a text file on disk when it has a .gpg file extension.

[2] O'Reilly has always been my go-to for stuff like this but they just reference the No Starch Press book. Can anyone comment on how good a book this is or is there a better one?

[3] Looking for something with a little more contextual explanations than "The GNU Privacy Handbook"